My Granny's Chettinad Nandu perattal - Crab Masala

I got this recipe, actually almost all of my recipes, from my grandmother. She was the one who basically developed my tastebuds since I was a baby. Whenever and whatever she cooked I was her official taste checker. I literally learnt A-Z about cooking from her. She didn't taught me anything as such, She fed me tasty meals and I grew up watching her cook.

She lives through my cooking!




Serving Size : 3-4 People
Cooking Time : 30 minutes

Ingredients :

  1. Blue Crab - 4-5 or Medium Sized Dungeness Crab - 3
  2. Onion large - 1 finely chopped
  3. Tomato medium sized - 1 finely chopped
  4. Turmeric Powder - 1tsp
  5. Salt - as needed
  6. Chilly powder - 3/4 -1 tbsp
For Grinding :
  1. Coconut - 1/2 cup 
  2. Fennel Seeds - 1tsp
  3. Poppy Seeds - 1 tsp
  4. Peppercorn - 1 tsp
  5. Garlic Cloves - 4-5
  6. Ginger -1inch
For Seasoning:
  1. Bay leaves - 2
  2. Cinnamon Stick - 1 (2 inch)
  3. Fennel Powder - 1 tsp
Steps :

1. Clean the crab - Take off the shell, gills and yellow fat inside. If it is alive, knock on its head with a knife or wooden ladle it will go unconscious then you can start cleaning. If you are not sure watch a video on youtube:

2. Grind all the ingredients mentioned under For Grinding.

3. In a wok - add oil and then add all the seasonings. Once it starts to splutter, add the finely chopped onions. Cook until the onions becomes translucent then add the tomatoes and cook until turns mushy.

4.Add salt, turmeric powder, chilly powder and let it cook for a minute.

5. Add the coconut mixture to the onion masala. Add little water and cook for 5 minutes until the raw smell goes away.

6. Now add the crab and mix evenly. Cover and cook for 10-15  minutes. You will start seeing more water coming out of the crab. If you think the gravy is too thick add a little more water.

7. The Crab should be cooked by now. Keep it in low flame for 10- 15 minutes or until you get the consistency you want.

8. Garnish with cilantro.

Enjoywith rice or Idly/dosa!














Comments

Popular Posts