Chettinad Palakkai/Jackfruit Podimas

 I am a lover of palakkai / green jackfruit. When I was a kid, I used to wait for the month of December - January because that's when the palakkai season starts. And my grandmother used to make it at least once a week. She makes so many varieties with that. I have to add it to the blog one by one. Back home it is little tedious to cut and clean green jackruit. Here in US I get it cut and cleaned in the frozen vegetable section and there it is, my jackpot!

Cooking Time - 20 minutes
Serving Size - 2-3 People



Ingredients:

Cut Green Jackfruit - 2 Cups
Chopped Small onions/ Regular Onions - 1 Cup
Green Chillies - 2
Grated Coconut - 2 tbsp

For Seasoning

Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin Seeds - 1 tsp or Fennel Seeds (You can use either one of those)
Curry Leaves - 1 string

Steps:

1. Steam the cut jackfruit in Idly pan / steamer for 5 -10 minutes.

2. After it cool down, pulse it in the mixer for 2 - 3 times. Consistency has to be shredded not paste.

3. In a pan, heat oil, add mustard seeds, cumin seeds and curry leaves. Once it starts to splutter, add onions and green chillies.

4. Cook until onion becomes translucent.

5. Add the shredded jackfruit and mix well. Keep it in low flame for 10 - 15 minutes.

6. Add the grated coconut and garnish with cilantro.

This goes very well with any spicy curry and rice!



Comments

Popular Posts