My Granny's Idly Sambar /Tiffin Sambar / Pasiparuppu Sambar

  This is my most most favorite from my granny's kitchen. Not only me, all our neighbors and relatives used to love this sambar. I have made this so many times but it has never tasted as my granny's but to my surprise last time when i made it, the sambar tasted exactly the same way.
 
  My taste buds took me back to 15 years. And i was immersed in those memories and taste for few minutes. It was a pure Bliss! I am definitely sure that you will eat an idly more with this Sambar.

Cooking Time - 20 Minutes
Serving Size - 2-3 People



Ingredient:

Moong dal - 3/4th of a cup (Moong dal and Toor dal together 1 cup)
Toor dal - 1/4th of a cup
Onion -1 large (sliced length wise)
Tomato - 2 medium sized
Green Chilly - 4 (adjust based on spice level)
Chilly powder - 1/2 tsp
Turmeric powder - 1/2 tsp
Carrot - 1/2
Potato - 1 Small

For Seasoning:

Sesame Oil - 2 Tbsp
Mustard Seeds - 1 tsp
Cumin seeds - 1 tsp
Fenugreek seeds - 1/2 tsp
Red Chilly - 1-2
Curry Leaves - 1 string

For Spice Powder- (This is optional)

Dry roast and make a powder of,

Red Chilly - 1
Coriander Seeds - 1/2 tsp

Steps :

1. In a pressur cooker, add both the dhals, onion,tomato, green chilly, carrot, potato, turmeric powder, chilly powder, salt and a tsp of Sesame oil.

2. Pressure cook for 3 - 4 whistles.

Tip : Make sure the dhals are not cooked like a paste. It has to be cooked at the right consistency.

3. This step is optional, you can add the dry roasted powder for flavor. I usually skip this most of the time.

4. Last step is Tadka (thalippu) with all the ingredients mentioned under seasoning.

Garnish with Cilantro!!

Soak the idly with enough sambar and enjoy:) This goes well with Dosa as well.






Comments

Popular Posts